Monday, March 14, 2011

Catching Up.

I've been super busy preparing for the upcoming sale that Huron Valley Parents of Multiples is hosting.  After the kids are in bed each night for the last couple weeks I've been sorting, organizing, tagging and labeling clothes and gear they've grown out of.  It's a big job but I'd like to sell some items so that I can purchase their clothes for the next season.  And if I make enough money, I have my eye on a new lens for my camera. 

So, blogging has taken a back seat to the sale project, as well as Operation: Get Cate to Sleep at Night.  Since Cate isn't a twin, I haven't been as diligent about sleep-training her as I was with her brother and sister and let's just say we'd fallen into some bad habits (I'll skip the details because I'd still like to be in the running for "Parent of the Year" - insert sarcasm ;) and the details would surely make that dream evaporate).  So anyway, it's been a few nights of sleep-training 101 and she seems to be on the straight-and-narrow.  I find it so hard to let my kids cry to sleep (as I'm sure every parent does), but I think it's best if Cate gets a better nights sleep.  In all honesty, the longest she's fussed herself to sleep is about 20 minutes and she woke up happy and refreshed.  Mission: Accomplished!

The twins continue to amaze me with their vocabulary and new skills.  Last night we put together a big puzzle that I bought (on clearance!) at Border's.  They really enjoyed fitting the pieces together and you could see they were really working at figuring it out.  I'm looking forward to when they're old enough to play some games like Hi Ho Cheerio, Candyland and Memory.  They really enjoy coloring and playing with playdoh, although those are NOT activities that I can leave them at the table to do alone because they eat the crayons and playdoh.  Sigh. 

Some other random musings:

Last night at dinner the twins could hear the train going by.  Matthew looks at me and his eyes light up.  He says "Mama, choo choo!"  He listens for a second, then puts his hand up behind his ear and says "Mama, choo choo!  Hear it?"  I can't wait to take him to Greenfield Village to check out the trains this summer! 

Cate is becoming more active.  She enjoys time in the walker now.  She likes to follow me around the kitchen and she also enjoys chasing the dog.  She can sit up very well on her own now.  She isn't crawling yet, but she is trying to scoot around to get toys. 

I took all 3 kids to the grocery store yesterday morning while Jeremy took a quick nap (he had a rough night at work Saturday).  They are very good in the store, especially for the ages they are!  I did have to give them a quick snack mid-way through to avoid a potential meltdown.  The real disaster happened at the check stand.  The regular lines were all really full so I went for the big U-Scan.  I had all but about 12 items scanned and the machine locked up.  Frozen.  The lady comes over, tries to fix it.  No luck.  Maybe she can suspend my order and move it to another station?  Nope.  I have to start all over.  Really?  Why me?  I have 3 kids and 150 dollars worth of groceries!  The kids, who have been very patient, are now getting restless.  Cate who has slept through the entire store is now awake.  I'm seriously on borrowed time at this point.  Yikes!  The lady attending to the station could tell I was becoming anxious.  She began helping me move each item from the checkstand I was at to another empty one where I could re-scan it and re-bag it.  Ugh!  She did help by giving the kids each about a half-dozen stickers which kept them mostly happy.  We managed to make it out of the store without anyone crying.

When we got home Claire and Matthew were helping put the groceries away.  Claire handed me each item out of one of the grocery bags until it was empty.  Then she inspected the bag to check for any remaining items.  Wadded the bag up.  Opened the pantry and threw the bag in the garbage.  She turns around with a big smile on her face and says "I did it!"  Jeremy was rolling on the floor!

One other random Claire story.  We were at my parents' house a couple weeks ago.  My Dad was sitting at the kitchen table working on his laptop.  Claire climbs up on the bench next to him.  Looks up at him.  Holds up a piece of paper towel and says "I pickin' nose".  I thought he was going to fall off the bench he was laughing so hard.  I think he said something back to her like "I'm not sure you want to share that!".   

No comments:

Post a Comment