Sunday, March 27, 2011

Grocery Sunday

Sunday was grocery day.  Jeremy was at work so the kids and I were going to navigate our local Meijer solo.  Here's an idea of how our morning went as we tried to get out the door:

7:00AM - I get up (everyone's still sleeping), quick shower and get dressed.  Get out the kids clothes & diapers.
7:25 - Wake up Cate
7:30 - Wake up twins
7:35 - Assemble everyone in the changing room downstairs and get everyone dressed
7:45 - Start breakfast for the twins, get them in the booster seats
7:50 - Make Cate's cereal and start feeding her.
8:00 - Everyone's done with breakfast, wipe hands, faces
8:05 - Turn on Mickey Mouse so I can make my grocery list and clean up the kitchen from breakfast
8:10 - Grab shoes, coats and hats so we can get ready for the store
8:15 - Coats on, Claire announces she has to go potty (we're not potty training yet, but I want to encourage her so I agree to let her try)
8:25 - Everyone has coats, hats and shoes on.  Now I can tell someone needs a diaper change.
8:26 - Find the culprit (Cate), change her and redress her
8:35 - Load everyone into the van, Matthew forgets blankie, has to run back in for it or suffer a meltdown
8:40 - I realize I'm not wearing any shoes, run back in to find my shoes and remember to lock the dog up
8:45 - Record time for getting out the door with all 3 solo!
8:50 - Part way to Meijer I realize I forgot all my coupons, oh well, the $10 isn't worth going back now.
9:00 - Arrive at Meijer, load all 3 kids in the stroller and find a cart.  (The Meijer carts only seat 2 kids max so we have to use the "push the stroller, pull a cart" method)
9:05 - Twins are asking for a cookie, I tell them they just had breakfast and we should wait awhile
9:10 - Matthew has dropped his blankie for the 8th time, since I'm tired of picking it up, I put it in the basket under the stroller and he proceeds to have a fit.
9:20 - We've made it through the produce, meat section and most of the aisle and have heard "You have your hands full" no less than 7 times.  I think to myself, if I hear that one more time I'm going to attack the next person that says it.
9:30 - Twins ask for a cookie again, I decide they've been good and oblidge.  Nilla Wafers.  They seem mostly satisfied. 
9:40 - Everyone's still keeping it together but I realize we are definitely on borrowed time.  Some unsuspecting person says "You've got your hands full"  I decide not to go ape on them because it would probably land me on the 10PM news and that would be the complete opposite of inconspicuous.
9:50 - We're approaching the check-stand, awesome, just a few more minutes and we've made it.  I'm pulling in to one of the open stands and out of nowhere some random lady jumps in front of my stroller and starts asking a MILLION questions.  In my head I'm screaming "Lady GET OUT OF THE WAY" but I just smile and nod.  In the meantime, another lady walks in front of us and starts using the check stand I was going for. UGH!!! In my head I'm saying "Lady, now look what you've done, of course you are oblivious to the delay you have just caused me and I don't care about how your brother's, sister-in-law's 3rd cousin once removed had a set of twins and you just never know how people handle it."  Instead, what comes out of my mouth is "ok, well, have a nice day" and try and steer around her.  Now we're waiting in line and the twins are getting restless. 
10:00 - Due to the delay caused by my new worst enemy, I'm now furiously scanning groceries as Matthew and Claire are starting to fight and Cate is now crying.  Who in their right mind would stop a lady with 3 kids just to talk?  I guess she didn't know any better.  Luckily I have most of the fruit and veggie codes memorized for the U-Scan so it goes a little quicker. 
10:10 - Bag all groceries and return to the car.  I load all the kids in first and quickly throw all the groceries and the stroller back in the van. 
10:30 - Back home, unload all the kids, get the twins some cheese and juice for a snack. 
10:35 - Feed Cate
10:45 - Unload all the groceries from the car and put them away (with some much appreciated help from the twins)
11:00 - Start laundry and proceed with the rest of our day. 

Here's a photo of how we "roll" in the grocery store taken from my iPhone.  I wanted to document our grocery experience now so I figured the 2 seconds it took to snap a photo was worth it.  I know it will get easier as they get older.  They really are patient in the grocery store and pretty well behaved (Thank you, Nilla Wafers)

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I can totally relate to this post the few times I've taken them all to Meijer myself. The one I go to has a cart that seats 3 (2 on the bench and one in the cart-seat) and I Ergo the 4th. I think it takes me twice as long though. :)

    ReplyDelete